Milestone 1: Formed an Age Friendly Committee
The committee was formed on February 8 with 17 committee members. In 2018, the committee re-organized, and currently has 9 committee members.
Milestone 2: Received support of municipal government
Milestone 3: Assess community
Date completed: May 6, 2016
The surveys were placed in 410 mailboxes and distributed to 28 housing units, with 62 responses
Milestone 4: Develop an action plan
Items in initial action plan:
- Access to public washrooms in the downtown area
- Temporary Public Washroom sign – end of August 2016
- Freestanding Public Washroom open 24/7 in Green Space – spring 2017
- More benches for people walking around downtown
- Six benches to be placed around town – end of August, 2016
Milestone 5: Measuring and reporting details
- The primary indicators that we have used to determine if we are on the right track are anecdotal positive remarks. However, people have expressed interest in purchasing more benches, increased usage of the washroom at the Town Office has been noticed, and there was considerable enthusiasm regarding the Intergenerational Letter Writing Project.
- Additional benches for the town completed in 2017
- Produced a Community Resource List for newcomers
- Had a successful pen pal project between youth and seniors
- Held a Community Volunteer Information Fair on September 16, 2017 with volunteer organizations from Strasbourg and surrounding area providing information, and with presentations from the Alzheimer Society of Saskatchewan, the Red Cross, and the Saskatchewan Seniors Mechanism. This was a joint project with the Strasbourg Recreation Board.
At the present time, Age Friendly Strasbourg is in the process of reorganization, and we are identifying new priorities and goals for Fall 2018. We will keep you posted!