Rosetown is a town located in west central Saskatchewan. It is a busy community as it is situated at the junction of Highways 4 and 7 (7 being one of the busiest highways in the province) and serves as a hub for the smaller communities in the surrounding area. Rosetown boasts a wide range of services, including health services, educational, businesses, recreational, service clubs and various other volunteer opportunities and social supports. Its main industry is agriculture. Individuals who are 65+ make up a large portion of the population. However, in recent years Rosetown has experienced an increase of young people moving back to the rural community they grew up in to raise their own families or who are new to the community. Through the growth and expansion of local thriving businesses, Rosetown is in a prime position to be creating new opportunities for residents of all ages.
Milestone 1: Formed an Age Friendly Committee
The committee was formed on February 25, 2016 with 5 core committee members. It currently has 9 members, representing seniors, young families, businesses and health. Crystal Storey is contact person.
Milestone 2: Received support of municipal government
Resolution passed on October 19, 2015.
Milestone 3: Assess community
Date completed: fall of 2016.
Number of community & area citizens surveyed: Approximately 275 surveys were made available at local businesses, seniors housing, and seniors programs. 146 responses were received.
Milestone 4: Develop an action plan
Items in initial action plan:
- Accessible washrooms
- More benches in the downtown area
- Dealing with uneven sidewalks
- Cleaning snow from downtown and residential area connecting to downtown
- Lighting both downtown and residential
- Railing at ballpark to help climb bleachers
- Streets need repair
- Public strategy planning session planned for September 2017
Milestone 5: Measuring and reporting details
Progress and what was reported:
- 6 benches are in place around the community, so far.
- There is ongoing shaving of uneven sidewalks
- Accessible door has been installed at the Post Office by Canada Post
- Pen pal program between elementary school students and seniors piloted
- Town of Rosetown has met with Sask Power regarding upgrading street lighting – they will be upgrading all communities but unknown where Rosetown is on the list
- Town of Rosetown has installed handrails on bleachers at the sports grounds
- Host events to appeal to seniors, with travel provisions offered
- Work with local businesses to increase Age Friendly principles
- Hosted public forum in May 2019 regarding seniors issues – successes and concerns
- Partner with Rosetown Lions Club to hold annual Christmas Music event. Produced a Christmas music DVD in 2020 when unable to hold in person events due to the pandemic.
- In response to the information garnered from the survey, the following actions have been taken:
- Released a newsletter to the community on findings of the survey
- Informed Town of Rosetown of areas of concern within their scope
- The Town of Rosetown purchased sidewalk shaving equipment in order to continuously be able to fix dangerous sidewalk sections due to ground heaving
- Advocated along with the Town of Rosetown to address seniors housing issues
- Town representatives met with SaskPower regarding lighting
- Brought forward to Canada Post safety concerns about the heavy door that was in place. Canada Post has since installed an automated one
- Developed a community bench program where anyone wanting to sponsor a bench to be placed throughout Rosetown can do so. Businesses, community groups, residents, memorials, etc., can imagine their own design for their bench and a local company, Prairie MetalArt, will create it. The benches will make it easier for people of all ages to walk and be more physically active.
- Ran an intergenerational pen pals program between the elementary school and the local long-term care facilities and local residents
- Partnered with the Rosetown and District Health Centre to host multiple Toast to Seniors events in celebration of Seniors Week yearly. These were held at the two long term care facilities and the Seniors’ Centre.
- Provide a newsletter at least twice a year to update the community on the happenings of Age Friendly Rosetown.
- Received Age Friendly designation from the Province of Saskatchewan in December 2018
- Presented on how to start and sustain an Age Friendly program in rural settings for the Alberta Age Friendly Community of Practice webinar, November 2019
- At the onset of the pandemic, created an information sheet of what is open, pharmacies and grocery stores delivery services, contact info, etc. to help them through the lock down. These were shared with each seniors condo and housing units. They were also available on Facebook and the Town of Rosetown website.
- The Christmas Music event has been well attended each year. When unable to provide in person performances in 2020, produced a DVD and distributed it to regional long term care facilities. Community members also received DVDs via donations.
- Partner yearly with the Rosetown Lions Club to provide a community Christmas greetings board.